Emeline Patrick Vaughn provided the funds to build the Vaughn Public Library in her husband’s memory after his death in 1886. Samuel Stuart Vaughn was one of the first Yankees to settle near Lake Superior. He owned and operated several businesses in the area and laid out Vaughn’s Subdivision in Ashland. The Vaughn Public Library opened November 16, 1888. At that time, the library operated on the 2nd floor of the building, with a dry goods store, F. J. Pool Company on the main floor. Citizens of Ashland voted to renovate the building in the early 1980’s. Today, the Vaughn Public Library operates on the first and second floors. The second floor contains 3 meeting rooms, Library Staff offices, workroom, breakroom, Newspaper archives, Granny Goose Pre-School Story Time Room and the Simpson Technology (wireless computer lab) with 8 computers for public use. The third floor of the building is currently home to several businesses and non-profit organizations.